Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Memory mosaic

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about my memory mosaic.

It came about from a small commission for a wedding. My client wanted a mosaic and some flowers and the date to remember and mark the special day of her daughter's wedding.

So this got me thinking that firstly I could make a memory mosaic to mark ANY special day - birthdays, anniversaries, all sorts of occasions, as well as weddings; and secondly, how about making the flowers completely bespoke?!

So for a wedding, the bride's bouquet, and for other anniversaries, maybe a favourite flower or group of flowers.  I thought I would give the option of date at the bottom or not, make it suitable for outdoors and in, and keep it to an affordable price so that a group could club together for it, or as an individual's personal gift.

With all these thoughts in mind, a list of all the flowers in the bride's bouquet and a photo of one similar I got to work, feeling very excited!

I used 30cm x 20cm exterior plywood and measured out the sizing and spacing on it.  Then with my list of flowers and Google images I got started!  It is really important to me to make the flowers look  as realistic as possible!
Lysianthus and delphiniums to start with - this is where my broad selection of carefully collected tiles come into their own!


Next came the three lilac roses, fronds of veronica, and the very tricky white freesias!
Finally, for the bouquet, some stems and matching ribbons.
I so enjoyed making it - challenging myself to mosaic new flowers, but trying to keep to the spirit of the wedding bouquet.  I gave it a good coat of looking - wondering if I should add eucalyptus foliage, or bright green leaves ... but no - enough!  I am happy with it as it is.
A muted background of pale yellow in the thinner tiles, so as not to detract from the flowers and the date, and now I am ready for grouting!  A mushroom brown is the best tint to bring all the colours out.

And here it is, finished - phew!  What do you think?!
the colours of the different flowers are vibrant..
and the numbers clear!
It's been a lovely commission, and I hope to make many more in future for all sorts of different occasions and celebrations!

More details for my memory mosaics are here - http://folksy.com/items/5417051-Memory-mosaic-celebrate-a-special-occasion-in-a-special-way-

Do leave me a comment - my heart and soul went into this!!

Felicity x

5 comments:

  1. I think it is absolutely beautiful. You have such a gift for turning tiles into works of art. I wish you much success with your memory mosaics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks absolutely beautiful to and an awesome idea to make memory mosaics xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Karen - I am hoping they will go down well! Fx

      Delete
  3. Just searching for ideas for my mom's birthday this weekend and so glad I came across this.
    I have a ton of tiles in the garage that would make for an excellent project.
    I'm thinking a bit of a twist though and making a mosaic jewelery box. Thanks for the great idea! Mosaic Tile

    ReplyDelete